Saturday 11 April 2015

A-to-Z Challenge (2015 edition): J is for Jane Eyre

A-TO-Z CHALLENGE:
DAY TEN



Confession time!
I haven't read Jane Eyre yet.

Well, actually I sorta did and it was a DNF for me as of now. But in some indefinite future I might attempt finishing this classic again.

Seriously, the book just bored me. I knew I wouldn't like Edward Rochester too much, and I definitely didn't like his movie version either.

She says and then she opens this next paragraph by typing, "this was a well-made movie though".


Don't know where it was filmed, but it was hauntingly beautiful! Plot-wise I didn't care much for Jane's simple attraction to Rochester. I mean, I haven't read the book so it's possible that the movie simplified it by cutting out scenes that would have made the film even longer than its 2 hours.


I never really understood why Jane loved Rochester...and maybe vice-versa. Like did he have to become blind and handless in the end for him to be a worthy companion to Jane's so-called plainness? How screwed-up is that?

Anyways, I'd still recommend watching the movie. I love most of these social historical-type dramatics and as far as books go, I'd pick up Jane Eyre if more people would consider Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea, or the story of Rochester's crazy first wife, Bertha Antoinetta Mason.

Overall a good movie to watch, and if you're like me and you're hesitant about the book. Watch the movie first and get a feel for what you might be getting from the story.
(Not to say that the film is better than the book and vice-versa.)

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books of all time. And I loved the movie version as well. So well cast. Wise Sargasso is wonderful too.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Eyre is a popular book. I just can't find a place in my heart...or my mind for Rochester. Or even Jane...

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete