Thursday 26 February 2015

BOOK REVIEW (21): My Fair Succubi (The Succubus Diaries #3)

BOOK REVIEW:
My Fair Succubi


After reading the first 2 books (and the free prequel) of Jill Myles’ Succubus Diaries series, I’ve finally got book 3 in my hands.

And what a Book 3 it was! Phew.

It took 2 books to build up the conflict between Zane and Noah, Jackie Brighton’ masters, and the kerfuffle around her choice between the two of them as a lover. (Though tbh I’m still with the whole ménage idea).

Making this as spoiler-free as possible, all I’ll say is that Jackie DOES make a choice. It follows a bit of the history of bad blood Zane and Noah have going, and why Jackie is so important to them. Actually I personally think none of the guys deserved her, but if I had to choose, I’d pick the vampire. Jackie’s own reasoning behind her choice aren’t exactly sound.

But one of the most frustrating yet alluring aspects of her character is her thirst for self-preservation, and her constant whining: Jackie is a coward, and I hate it sometimes – because it means that some guy has to save her, mostly Zane or Noah, or Zane and Noah – but at the same time it’s too realistic.

Usually I don’t go around looking for characters to be like me. I don’t need Jackie to be “relatable” for me to enjoy the story. I just want to understand why a character does what they do. So from a writer/reader standpoint I want them to have great character motivation that support believable goals (regardless of the genre, fantasy/paranormal can make for some pretty interesting goals at the least).

 There were some new characters introduced, old characters making a re-appearance, and more of the Jackie-centered conflicts. Seriously the girl is a magnet for bad juju.

I personally thought the adventure in this one wasn’t all that of a rush. The most excitement I got was in the beginning… It sort of fell flat near the end, even though there were houses crumbling and piles of bodies. It was anticlimactic, especially as it neared Jackie’s choice between Noah and Zane.

There was a lot of back and forth near the end...I mean most of what Jackie says concerning her love life is pretty cheesy, but apparently it's contagious as well. Case in point:


Actually I really wouldn't forgive him... Yeah, I know it's Zane we're talking about here, but the guy needs to know somethings aren't fixed by the power of "love"


Okay, okay. I get you...but wait, didn't you say that you called her Princess because:...


Zane needs to get his stories in a row.
Stiill the ending caught my interest. You see officially the books are published by Pocket Star, a division of Simon & Schuster. However, the ending – as I’m sure you all will go out and read – is very cliffy. In the romance sense it ties up nicely, and this is a PNR so Ms. Myles did her job there. That leaves the action/adventure plot very open for another book.

Lucky for you, the author has written book 4 and self-pubbed it to complete the series. (Yay for Jill Myles!)


ohh. beautiful book 4 cover. Jackie's debut + glowing red hair ftw...

And yes, that does mean that book 3 was good enough for me to come back for more…


My verdict:

✮.5


(3.5 stars)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of this author's work. But sounds intriguing :)

    I do get a bit annoyed when any character from THIS day & age says "oh, John!" or whatever the guy's name is she's in love with. :P

    ReplyDelete