Friday 20 November 2015

BOOK REVIEW (91): Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls #1)

BOOK REVIEW:
Athena the Brain


I've been meaning to read this series for awhile, but I only got around to it a couple weeks ago. I love mythology (Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Native American, etc.) and I was excited about the MG feel.

I was right to be excited -- Goddess Girls #1, Athena the Brain, was so cute and genius. I really admired the touches of Greek myth in the stories. So let me start with a background...

The Goddess Girls series is set at Mount Olympus Academy (MOA), a school for godgirls and godboys and other mythological creatures: each of the stories in the series features the problems of one of the girls. Athena is the brainiac goddess, the newest addition to the Academy and she's making friends and trying to not disappoint her father, the King of Gods, Zeus.

This review is short because I liked the book. The author(s) used really inventive techniques, and I think it would be a great way to introduce young girls (and boys, not discriminating) to Greek myth. For instance, there was a competition for the best invention by a God (judged by the Greeks/humans) open to all the students attending MOA.

I also liked how some of the Greek myth traits/characteristics were entwined with the plot and conflict in interesting ways (e.g. with Medusa).

The only down side of this first story was the chronology -- the age difference between the characters. I know that sounds weird since the Greek gods were immortal or ageless, but Hermes was described as being a young boy and the trio of brothers, Hades, Poseidon and Zeus were old men, and so on.



But suddenly Poseidon is a "godboy" in this and all the godgirls and other mythological girls are drooling all over him. (Check out the cover and look to Athena's right and compare tween Poseidon from Goddess Girls to old man Poseidon who fathered many children.)

The end was a bit abrupt as well. It tied everything together, but the big "conflict" sorta fizzled out a bit...you have to go read the book though.

And so on that note if I interested you at all, pick up this first book and see if this series is for you. No harm, no foul. Bonus points for being a quick read.

As for me, I'm on the hunt for Book 2 already.

My verdict:

✮.5

(4.5 stars)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really cute book and series :) Thanks for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete