Tuesday 27 January 2015

BAKING REVIEW (1): Apple Cinnamon White Cake

BAKING REVIEW:
Apple Cinnamon White Cake

I've been meaning to put up some of my recipe attempts all last year, but I never got to it. I guess I was swept up by school and reading and getting into the habit of writing. This year I decided to set a goal of posting up at least one recipe attempt every month. So 12 recipes is the goal, and I figured with the end of this month quickly closing--seriously I haven't felt the last three weeks go by--here's the first recipe review.


I chose Apple Cinnamon White Cake for its simplicity...and I needed to get rid of an apple. I had all of the ingredients in my kitchen, so it was more the matter of following the instructions and getting this baby in the oven (and cleaning up the dishes, but no one wants a re-hash of that).


This is what the cake looks like in all its original glory:



courtesy of Allrecipes user Jinglebells

And this is what my attempt looked like:



See the bite? I couldn't help myself...
 And here on a plate.



Now looking at it almost side-by-side, mine doesn't look all that bad... And it actually tastes really great! I mean, it's edible. Really soft though, but I guess that's to be expected. I find white cakes are very soft.

I actually traded the 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with a supplementary 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour. So I used 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour. Why? Because I wanted to. I actually prefer whole wheat foods, so...yeah. Good enough reason.

Now I only wish I chopped the apples smaller. I found they were really big cubes, but the recipe doesn't really explain what size the apples should be. Maybe next time (yes, I loved this recipe enough to make it a 'keeper') I'll shred the apple. Try that for a spin?

One last thing: they baked at the suggested 40 mins. and the prep wasn't too long. Although I'm not counting the dish-washing...

My verdict:


(4 hearts)

No comments:

Post a Comment