Monday 15 June 2015

BAKING REVIEW (6): Snickerdoodles

BAKING REVIEW:
Snickerdoodles

Okay, I was truly at a loss as to what to bake this month. I was heading the way of the French Macaron, but as most beginners seem to shy away from that trickier dessert I finally found inspiration in a novel I'm currently reading.

Yes, you read that right. I hate when books describe desserts and my mouth starts to water as I begin to crave them (why do you think there should be a warning where Jenn McKinlay's Cupcake Bakery Mystery series is concerned).

There was no recipe for snickerdoodles in the novel, so I had to go find one online. As usual I was on a budget when it came to gathering the ingredients for the recipe. SO I was particularly searching for a recipe without cream of tartar (COT). My search, thankfully, wasn't long. I used this one by blogger Carol Henders.

If you click that link and read Carol's blog you'll understand her sensible reason for not using COT. My reasons were far from the same (and truthfully far less sensible). I was A) too lazy to go out and get COT, the only item on my ingredient list I didn't have in my kitchen, and B) I don't bake a lot. Needless to say I didn't want to buy COT and have it sit around forcing me to bake in order to make proper use of it and my money's worth.

But if you've got COT (haha that rhymed) lying around OR you want to use it and stick to the original snickerdoodle recipe, then by all means do that. I didn't. So keep that in mind when you're reading my review of Carol Henders' version of this funny-named cookie.

So first thing first, the comparison of Carol's snickerdoodles:


Yummy.

And my version of her version of snickerdoodles:



I should make a note here: I didn't add cinnamon to my cookies. Notice mine are lighter -- no peppering of sweet-smelling cinnamon. Mine also don't look as pretty without the indent of the fork tines you see in Ms. Henders' cookies, but... BUT they tasted a-mah-zing!

Too die for. I hope that says enough because I'm munching on one of these as I write this.

Next time though I might reduce the sugar. 1 1/2 cups was a bit too much, even with a cup of black tea...

If you're in the mood for snickerdoodles, for the first time or the fiftieth, try this!
This cream of tartar-free recipe won't make you snicker (unless you're laughing at those saps who think the tangy-taste of tartar makes the cookie) but will make you sigh in pure dessert bliss.


My verdict:

❤.5

(4.5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment